“There’s no such thing as being completely ready. You’re never going to feel like you have everything all figured out and that’s okay. If you get to a place where you’re just a little bit more excited than afraid, that’s when you go for it. That’s when you go all in. To hell with playing it safe” – the better man project
Hi friends & Happy Saturday!!
Soooo…I did a thing. But before we jump right in, let’s back track.
Did you know that a lot of your favourite makeup contains ingredients like: parabens, coal tar + get ready for this…FORMALDEHYDE (eww). Yes you read that right! You can imagine my horror when I discovered that a lot of my favourite lipstick brands were using those ingredients and all these years I’d been lathering them on my precious lips!!!! Ugh I don’t even want to think about it. Anyways, as soon as I discovered this horrifying news, I had no choice but to reevaluate what I’ve been buying + more importantly, putting on my skin. In doing my research, I discovered the world of … *drum roll please* … clean beauty.
Now, what exactly is Clean Beauty?
After scowering the Internet, it seems like everyone’s got their own definition, and in fact, a legal definition doesn’t exist. That being said, every definition that I’ve found has one thing in common and it’s this…Clean beauty products do NOT contain ingredients shown or suspected to harm human health. Along with parabens, formaldehyde (ugh I cringe every time I think about it) and coal tar, clean beauty companies have been trying to eliminate the following ingredients from their products:
I think it’s safe to say that ingredients like those are ones that we’d consciously avoid at all costs, yet we’re unknowingly lathering it on our skin on a daily basis. A number of studies have even shown that using products with those ingredients can have lasting affects on the body, with certain cancers, endocrine disorders, neurological problems and even infertility being linked to the use of those ingredients.
And so, enter BEAUTYCOUNTER.
Beautycounter is a brand I was introduced to last year through none other than…Instagram! I had started following a local influencer who was always posting the most gorgeous selfies wearing THE most stunning lip colours. Obviously needing these beautiful lippies in my life, a quick Google search showed me that Beautycounter was an online retailer that didn’t have a physical store, and instead relied on their Consultants to get the word out on the brand and help get clean beauty into the hands of everyone. As someone who likes to see the product in front of me, to hold it and swatch it, I kinda just dismissed it and put the whole thing outta my mind. A few months later, another local woman reached out wanting to connect over our shared love of beauty. After chatting for a while, I discovered that she was a Consultant with Beautycounter and my interest was yet again piqued. One thing led to another and before I knew it, I was getting a notification saying that my Beautycounter order would be arriving in the next few days.
What did I order you ask??
> Sheer Lipstick in the shade “Rose”
> Dew Skin Tinted Moisturizer (in the shade No.2)
> Countermatch Hydra-Gel Radiance Toner
Kim (my new Consultant) had walked me through the process of ordering my clean beauty goodies and even threw in a Citrus Mimosa Body Butter AND a lip jelly (oh my gosh it smelt SO good) for free! A week into using the Toner, I was so obsessed (and ready to place another order) and couldn’t imagine my nightly skincare routine without it. Not only was my skin thanking me for this new addition, but I could apply it without having to think about what I was really putting on my face. Beautycounter took away the guesswork of makeup, skincare and beauty in general.
Fast forward to two weeks ago and while scrolling through Instagram, I noticed that another friend I had made on the app years ago was making an announcement…that SHE had joined Beautycounter as a Consultant (and that’s on top of being an incredible MUA and life coach). After chatting about her exciting new endeavour she asked if it’s something that I’d be interested in doing with her! NOW…over the years, I’ve been asked to join everything from Arbonne to Monat and everything in between. And while some of their products have been wonderful, I’ve never gotten excited about them, their brand, their mission or my potential future with them. But with Beautycounter it was different.
Annnnnd so, along with my 9 to 5, and this little beauty blog, I’m adding “Beautycounter Consultant” to my repertoire. That’s right, I’ve made the decision to join the clean beauty movement with Beautycounter and I could not be more excited. Their products are truly SO incredible + are SO safe to use, their packaging is SO luxe, and it’s hard not to love a company that stands for so many incredible things!
Now, why Beautycounter?
It should be clear by now that I have a passion for all things beauty, so much so that I have such a fire in my belly to make a career out of that passion! Over the last few months, I’ve thought nonstop about how I can take that passion to the next level. You might even say I manifested it into being. I wanted so badly to align with a company whose core values and beliefs align with mine. From Beautycounter to Monat, …. I’ve dreamt of finding my niche in the beauty world. While I had done a bit of research early last year after first being introduced to the female founded company, this time it’s like I was seeing Beautycounter through a MUCH different lens. I don’t know if it’s because I’ve been taking my health + wellness A LOT more seriously over the last little while, but when you think about it, what’s the point of working your butt off at the gym, making healthier choices in the kitchen only to be putting harmful chemicals in your body?? But seriously, at the end of the day, all we have is our health so why not make more of an effort & do the best that you can for yourself??
And while we’re still answering the “why Beautycounter” question, take a look at what the company stands for…
– Their mission is to get safer products into the hands of EVERYONE. And everyone means everyone. This goal is based on the fundamental notion that everyone, different as we all may be, values many of the same things: our health, the safety of our loved ones, and the freedom to make informed choices. We won’t stop until everyone has access to safer products. Beautycounter is the leader in clean beauty and unlike any other beauty and personal care brand company out there.
– Beautycounter is a national movement for improved transparency and accountability in the beauty industry, including advocacy to update federal regulations that have stood largely unchanged since 1938.
– Our clean promise: We prohibit the use of 1,800+ questionable or harmful ingredients when formulating our products through The Never ListTM.
And speaking of Beautycounter’s The Never ListTM…there are more than 80,000 chemicals on the market today. Many don’t have any safety data. This is particularly true of those used in the skin care and beauty industry. What’s worse is that the Food and Drug Administration (the agency that regulates cosmetics in the United States) does not have the authority to remove harmful ingredients from the products we put on our bodies and on our kids’ bodies every single day, day after day, and to make their own judgments about safety.
**One thing I do want to address is that when some people hear “clean beauty” they think that means you’re paying up the butt (so to speak) and sacrificing quality. And like many of you, I’ve tried my fair share of clean beauty products that just don’t compare to our favourites from Sephora. But let me tell you, Beautycounter does NOT fall into that category. Their products are SO high quality and their packaging is unlike any other brand on the market (they recently switched from plastic to glass, can you say #sustainable!).
Annnnyways, before I wrap up this ramble-y little post, I thought I’d share my honest thoughts on a few of the products that I’ve tried…
I think it goes without saying that when I find a new brand, I NEED to test out their lip products. The Beautycounter Sheer Lipsticks are described as being:
> a beautiful kiss of colour
> the ultimate everyday lipstick that’s silky-smooth and ultra-moisturizing
> a lipstick that contains jojoba esters and carnauba wax to condition and hydrate lips (with no synthetic fragrance—just a sophisticated hint of natural vanilla)
With 11 shades in the collection, there’s a shade for every skin tone.
Now I’ll be honest, this formula is not my favourite from the brand (don’t worry I’ll be chatting about a favourite Beautycounter lippie shortly). I bought the shade “Rose” which is a gorgeous rosy pink shade but I just didn’t find it to be super comfortable on the lips. That being said, the packaging itself is gorgeous and is surprisingly weighted, which in my opinion is pretty luxurious. Anyways, the brand recently came out with a new line of Sheer Genius Conditioning Lipsticks that look much more up my alley so I’ll definitely have to give them a try.
I think I’ve mentioned it before, but I’m not a full coverage kinda gal when it comes to face products. If a brand offers a tinted moisturizer (in place of a foundation), count me in! This sheer-coverage tinted moisturizer helps even skin tone as it protects against sun’s damaging rays with SPF 20 mineral sunscreen. The formula features a blend of black currant seed oil, peony root extract, and vitamin C to help brighten while leaving skin looking radiant. With continued use, skin will feel firmer and look more luminous*.
I’m on my second tube of this stuff and I’m obsessed. I’ve been using the shade No. 2 which has since been renamed “Light”. It’s lightweight, super comfortable on the skin and what I love most is that it doesn’t totally cover my skin, my freckles still poke through!
Honestly, I feel fancy just having this bottle on my vanity! Made without mineral oils, sulfates, and parabens, this is the prep step you’ve been waiting for. With a unique gel texture and a sustainable glass bottle, this new toner helps minimize the appearance of pores while removing residual impurities, leaving skin hydrated, radiant and truly glowing.
After just two weeks*:
- 97% agreed skin looked brighter and more radiant
- 100% said pores looked minimized
- 97% said skin felt more hydrated
- 100% agreed skin felt smoother
*Based on a 31-subject consumer perception study after two weeks of use.
- Squalane: derived from olives, it draws moisture into skin and visibly restores elasticity.
- Plum Oil: rich in omegas 6, 9 and vitamin E, it helps provide nutrients for vibrant, healthy-looking skin.
- Phytic Acid: sourced from rice, it gently exfoliates to aid in cell turnover, which helps skin breathe for a natural glow.
Four words…BOTOX IN A BOTTLE.
But seriously, this magical Resurfacing Peel is heavenly. Featuring a proprietary multi-acid complex, this leave-on AHA/BHA peel improves skin texture and boosts clarity without irritation or over-drying. With glycolic, malic, and botanically derived lactic acid, the formula clears away dull surface cells, while arginine and essential fatty acids help soothe to reveal a brighter, healthier looking, renewed complexion.
After two weeks of use*
- 100% agreed skin felt and looked smoother
- 90% experienced radiant and glowing skin
- 97% reported that skin felt resurfaced
- 87% said pores looked minimized
*Based on a 30-subject consumer perception study using the product every other day for two weeks.
Clinically proven to**
- Boost skin radiance
- Help improve skin texture
**Based on a 31-subject clinical instrumentation study after four weeks.
- Glycolic Acid: improves skin texture, resurfaces, exfoliates.
- Lactic Acid: stimulates cell renewal promoting a smoother, radiant-looking complexion.
- Citric Acid: helps refine and renew skin.
- Arginine & Fatty Acids: aid in conditioning and moisturizing skin.
I’ve had this All Bright C Serum in my life for the last 2 weeks + MY OH MY I am in love. This ultra-potent 10% blend of two forms of vitamin C instantly brightens skin and helps reduce the appearance of existing dark spots, while antioxidant-rich turmeric and camu camu extracts help protect against new ones. The formula also helps defend skin from the damaging effects of environmental stressors—revealing a more youthful-looking complexion.
- 5% Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (Vitamin C): Antioxidant that reduces the appearance of dark spots and boosts skin brightening, to reveal more youthful-looking skin.
- 5% Bis-Glyceryl Ascorbate (Vitamin C): Moisturizes skin while providing antioxidant benefits known to protect skin from damaging environmental stressors. Helps improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract: The serum’s vibrant hue? That’s thanks to turmeric, an antioxidant superstar that helps even skin tone and improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Myrciaria Dubia (Camu Camu) Fruit Extract: This powerful antioxidant helps reduce the appearance of dark spots while brightening, to visually improve signs of skin fatigue.
This C Serum is now available at Sephora which has to say something!
This gloss has earned a permanent place in my makeup collection, so much so that after only using it for a few days, I placed an order for more shades! It delivers high-impact shine and conditioning lip benefits, while taking transparency to the next level with ingredients that care for your lips. Formulated with a blend of waxes to lock in moisture (with no stickiness), this gloss delivers cushiony colour and a sophisticated scent thanks to responsibly sourced vanilla.
- Next-level shine: features our BeyondShine Filter Effect, a unique light-bending technology that captures a rainbow of colours and filters them for multidimensional luster and an ultra-glossy look.
- Clean colour: our advanced CleanCoat Pigments deliver beautifully sheer colour and high-impact shine, while soothing and conditioning lips thanks to a proprietary process that envelops them in moisture-rich castor oil.
- Lip-loving ingredients: our BeyondSmooth Conditioning Complex is a blend of beeswax, candelilla wax, and organic carnauba wax that helps to lock in moisture to leave lips looking and feeling soft and smooth.
- Innovative applicator: our custom teardrop applicator picks up the perfect amount of gloss, and hugs the contours of your lips for seamless coverage and easy definition.
- Responsibly sourced vanilla: ECOCERT-certified organic vanilla from Madagascar is responsible for this gloss’ signature sweet scent. Our supplier is committed not only to sourcing the highest quality of vanilla, but also to improving the quality of life for their community of farmers.
- Jojoba seed oil: provides ultra-cushiony wear that stays put, without the sticky feel. It replaces potentially harmful ingredients like plasticizers and phthalates, which are common in lip gloss formulas.
- Tocopherol (vitamin E): helps maintain the integrity of our lip gloss over time, while providing functional antioxidant and skin-conditioning properties.
And so, to sum up this post…
What does this mean for the future of Lipstick & Bubbly? Will my content change and become Beautycounter focused?
Believe me when I say NOTHING.WILL.CHANGE.
Lipstick & Bubbly was created as an outlet for all things beauty + I don’t want the content on here or my Instagram to change and become a never ending sales pitch for the brand. If I ever chat about it or include it in a favourites post, it’s because I totally think it’s an incredible product that you need in your life.
I’m genuinely SO excited for this undertaking + to those of you that reached out with your kind words of support, it means SO much to me!
If you wanna see what all the hypes about, head over to beautycounter.com/ashleykinson + take a look at these incredible products and if you have any questions, I’m always here to chat!
As always, thank you SO much for stopping by & until next time,